When it comes to potty training dogs, those who have never before owned a pet face a lot of problems. They just don’t know where to begin and panic at the first sign of discomfort. After all, being a pet parent is not an easy task.
Thankfully, though, there are now a lot of sources you can look toward to make sure that you house train your puppy properly and in no time at all. The steps might differ if you own a Yorkshire terrier, potty train, or house train.
But before we dive into the specifics of how to potty train a Yorkie, let us first outline the basic house training tips for new pet parents out there.
Ask a question, get an answer ASAP!Ask a question, get an answer ASAP!Contents showBasic Tips For House Training DogsTips To Potty Train A YorkieFurther Tips On Potty Training Your YorkieLearn More Tips And Tricks To Potty Train Your Yorkie
Basic Tips For House Training Dogs
To begin with, you need to make sure that you don’t hold any unreal expectations. Your puppy, Yorkshire Terrier, or otherwise, cannot be house trained and potty trained in a few weeks.
Just as humans, dogs, too, need time to be able to begin making sense of the world around them. So, let us get the fact that pets will require anywhere between 3 to 6 months to get successfully house trained.
In cases of some puppies of specific breeds, though, it may take up to a year for them to get properly house trained.
- So, as a pet parent, you need to be patient and give your little puppy the time it needs to get fully trained. The puppy’s size is also a deciding factor in the time it takes to get trained.
- If you’ve bought your puppy from a store, its living conditions differ. This is one of the reasons why you have to give it the time it needs. Being patient and not getting too frustrated when you receive setbacks is being patient. The puppy will know if it seems you’re increasingly getting frustrated, and it will further slow down his pace of getting habitual to his surroundings.
- Another priceless tip for training puppies is constantly giving them rewards. Dogs tend to fight harder for rewards, and it will surely step up his pace a notch or two if you give him rewards for performing well during the training period.
- The correct time to start potty training your puppy is after at least ten weeks. At more than ten weeks old, the puppy slowly begins to gain proper control of his bowel movements and make sense of it all. Before that, you’ll be only forcing him to follow a routine when he has no idea what he’s been asked to do.
READ – How to Train Your Dog to Listen to You
When their environment changes, puppies will surely take some time to get used to it.
They might get a little put off by the change, and it is understandable. All you need to do as a pet parent is have patience and allow them the time they need.
Now that you know about the basic tips on house training a puppy, let us dive into the important steps on potty training a Yorkshire Terrier.
Tips To Potty Train A Yorkie
When it comes to tips for training a Yorkshire Terrier, it is first important to know the nature of these beautiful dogs. To begin with, Yorkies are mainly indoor pets who do not require much outdoor time in a day.
Similarly, they do not require much physical activity when, unlike most other breeds. So, the ways to potty train them also has to be a little different.
There are many advantages of potty training your Yorkshire Terrier to eliminate indoors instead of going out every time. Especially for those pet parents who don’t stay at home for long hours.
It is important that their little pup knows where to go after a while without dirtying the entire house in his master’s absence.
So, let us now talk about the steps to perfectly potty train your beloved Yorkshire Terrier.
- All you need to do is a little activity to begin the training. Place puppy pads a few yards away from your puppy’s food.
- Put a few pads at a distance of a few feet. Make sure you choose a place where there’s little disturbance, and the puppy can try and understand what you’re expecting of him.
- Next, you need to feed your Yorkshire Terrier and wait for twenty minutes as he rests.
- Now, once the twenty minutes have passed, take him to the puppy pads you’ve laid down for him at a few feet distance from each other.
- The next bit is interesting as it involves giving your dog a verbal command.
- You may choose what command you want to use and make sure that you don’t change it again to make it easier for the puppy.
- There are chances that your dog might not eliminate on the pads even after your command.
- You can come back with him again after ten or fifteen minutes in such a case.
- As soon as your puppy does eliminate on your command and accurately on the puppy pad, do not forget to reward him with something for performing well in training.
- You can also choose to praise him verbally and cuddle him as a reward.
- There’s no reward more loved by dogs than the affection of their master.
- Make sure you do it every time your puppy eliminates on the puppy pad as expected.
- As this activity continues and your puppy continues to do well, you can slowly and steadily reduce the number of puppy pads.
- Many puppy pads on his eliminating spots can sometimes confuse the puppy.
- So, as he improves, make it a little harder for him, and slowly he’ll grow used to eliminating right on that puppy pad.
READ – 5 Easy Puppy Training Games
It cannot be emphasized enough how important it is to keep rewarding your pet whenever he follows a command. Given that you are patient with him and continue to show him enough affection, he’s sure to be perfectly trained in time.
Further Tips On Potty Training Your Yorkie
The basic steps to potty train your Yorkshire Terrier are now known. It is time to further investigate how to handle this entire process of training them.
The most important thing to understand among these tips is that it may take more time to train a Yorkshire Terrier when compared to other breeds.
They’re a little more stubborn and might outright deny co-operating. Yet, given that your patient, he will surely reciprocate.
Another important point is that if your Yorkshire Terrier is properly trained to eliminate on puppy pads, he’ll grow sensitive to that surface.
This will mean that he will not eliminate the outdoors anymore. Hence, you should only train them, so if you are willing to carry on with providing them puppy pads for a long time and it is a long-term commitment.
During the training, to ensure that your Yorkie is always attracted to the puppy pads, use soiled clothes and tissue to smell and eliminate where you want them to.
Learn More Tips And Tricks To Potty Train Your Yorkie
Apart from the tips and steps mentioned here, you should further look for tips to potty train your puppies. For instance, if you have a dog from a different breed, you can easily find tips and steps specific to their behavior.
There is no shortage of sources online that can assist you in becoming good pet parents for your beloved pups. A lot of responsibilities come with owning a pet. You will need a little bit of help now and then, and the internet has that for you.
READ – Dog Obedience Training Commands to Teach Your Dog
Read thoroughly to know what is good for your pets at different stages of their life. By being acutely aware of their behavior, you provide your pets with the right care.
So, what are you waiting for? Start browsing websites and find more and more suggestions on how to house train your Yorkie.
You can also find sources that tell you more about the behavior of Yorkshire Terriers. The kind of food they prefer eating and how many hours of human affection they ideally need.
Everything ranging from the most minute details is available for you to learn from. Don’t miss a chance to become just the pet parent your Yorkie will love to live with.
The cornerstone of all these tips and steps has to be your patience. You have to give your pet the time he needs to get fully trained.
Hurrying into things or losing hope of training him will only affect his mind, and even he’ll feel worthless. Make sure you understand if there are a few setbacks in the way. SharePin